Sunday, April 28, 2013

Some people just need a high-five...



Up to now, all of my posts have been about my weight loss and exercise goals. However this one isn't about that. It is about how some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair.

Unfortunately, I was made acutely aware of this fact by a 1st grade little boy. And he needed the high-five. Or honestly, just some better home training. Apparently, he has been picking on my Kindergartener. On Friday afternoon she got off the bus and and stomped up to me.  "H****n from 1st grade called me F-A-T!"  Thus began the internal battle.

Internally, I was fighting myself. I was raging at a snot-nosed little boy. I was groaning because THIS had already started and she is too young for us to already be fighting the looks battle. I was also scrambling to figure out how to talk to her about this and make sure he hadn't made her feel bad about herself or planted an evil seed of doubt in her head.

I asked her how she responded when H****n called her F-A-T. (She refused to say it; she just spelled it the whole time.) She told him that was not a nice thing to say, that he was RUDE, and she was telling  the bus driver. I'll never know the outcome of the last, but apparently the driver did relay his name-calling to one of his parents. I was happy with those responses bc it told me that she wasn't afraid to stand up for herself. Next, I asked her how she felt about what he said. "He irritates me." I'll take irritation over hurt feelings bc she didn't take what he said to heart. Last, I asked her if she thought she was F-A-T. She pulled up her shirt and looked down at her belly. "Nope." Fabulous, baby girl! Simple, straight forward, and to the point. She really doesn't believe that.

I still can't believe that attacking of self-esteem and outward appearance has started at 6 years old. I work really hard to teach her that what someone looks like has NOTHING to do with who they are as a person. I want her to understand that her actions are what will make her beautiful, not what the world sees when they look at her.

I still think about high-fiving him. In the face. With a chair.

(Playing dress up in Mama's wedding dress)


No comments:

Post a Comment